Bellmore Auto Insurance Options
Driving a car in New York can be a real challenge at times. In fact, some areas in the state are as famous for their traffic jams, as they are for the great food and entertainment they have to offer. If you want to drive your car in Bellmore (or anywhere else in New York) you must have auto insurance. There are many different policies and options and unless you have the right coverage, you could end up with serious financial problems. Let's check out an example of what can happen when you choose to take out only minimal auto coverage.
George B and his wife Emma both had nice vehicles but George didn't want to drive his full-size pickup truck to work each day because of the gas mileage. To solve this problem, he bought an inexpensive used mid-size car for about $2,000. He decided to carry just the minimum amount of car insurance for New York drivers and for over a year, he had no problems.
One day George was on his way home from work and it had been a miserable day at the office. He was talking to his wife on his cell phone when he became distracted by a dog running across the path of his car. George swerved to avoid the dog and caused a four car crash at an intersection. This resulted in major injuries and property damage claims on his automobile insurance. In fact, the total claims came to $195,000.
This was not good for George because his insurance only paid $50,000 for medical claims and $10,000 for property damages. Needless to say, George's life was about to get very complicated for many years to come, and all because George only had minimal liability coverage.
What is the Reason for Auto Insurance?
The state of New York requires financial responsibility which is best satisfied with the minimal liability insurance. Plus, if you have a car loan, the lender will demand you insure your car. Also, you'll want to protect the investment you have made in your vehicle.
Who Should Have Car Insurance?
Anyone who drives in New York must have insurance, as it is a no-fault state. This includes the following vehicles:
- Three wheeled motorized bikes
- Motor scooters
- Dirt bikes ridden on the road
What Automobile Insurance is Mandatory in New York?
Because it is a no-fault state, you will need to have several types of insurance coverage. Let's take a closer look at the mandatory requirements, PIP, liability, and uninsured motorists.
Personal injury protection is designed to pay for medical bills incurred from an accident in which you are at fault. It also covers issues like lost wages and expenses related to the accident, like transportation to and from the doctor office. This also includes short term disability and lost wages.
In New York you must have at least 25/50/10 liability. This stands for:
- $25,000 maximum medical payments for one person
- $50,000 maximum for all medical claims
- $10,000 personal property damages - may include auto body repair bills and damage to buildings and street structures
You must have protection against drivers not carrying insurance. This also includes motorists with insufficient coverage, and hit and run incidents.
Auto Insurance Options
The most important option most New York drivers should consider is raising their liability limits above 25/50/10. As you read in our example story, these limits are far below what you should have. You also may want to consider these options:
- Collision - pays for damages to your car if you are at fault
- Comprehensive - covers fire, theft, vandalism, and non traffic accident damages (like hail or tree limb damage)
- Roadside assistance
- Gap insurance for new vehicle owners
Why Choose Car Insurance from an Independent Insurance Agency?
When you go with an independent agency like Newbridge Coverage Corporation you will enjoy these benefits:
- All the hard work is done for you - our seasoned insurance experts take care of comparison shopping and help you choose the right insurance options.
- Cost - most people can save money because we have many more insurance options than a standard agency.
- We offer more than insurance - when you choose Newbridge Coverage Corporation you have help with risk assessment and claims. Our job is just beginning when you buy insurance.
- Experience - we have been in this business since 1956. That is 60 years of service to Bellmore and surrounding areas. Our staff of insurance professionals is 30 strong and we are here to take the mystery and hard work out of comparing and buying insurance.
- Commitment to excellence - we pride ourselves on the exceptional services we provide and work hard to establish mutual trust.
When it comes to automobile insurance, what you don't know can hurt you. There is no need to take unnecessary chances with your insurance when it costs nothing extra to have professional assistance with every aspect of your insurance. Check us out today by filling out the free quote section of this page.